How soon is too soon to ask about refund status?

blkvkt

So, I commissioned this person back in mid 2016, and requested a refund in i think early 2018?

After bouts of lost contact (my part being moved accounts, their part being never trying to get in touch), and the project being pushed back multiple times, we decided to terminate it.

Put a down payment (was a physical item) and they agreed as the project wasnt started a full refund would be fair. Which i was fine with, i either wanted the item or the refund especially if it hadnt been started.

Fast forward to october of 2019 i inquired AGAIN about it, (i have terrible memory about things i commission, so really thats on me.) And they again agreed that a refund would be fair still. 

But i havent heard a word since. Now with the personal issues they brought up and all this virus hubbub im not sure when the proper time to push again would be?? I dont want to wait another year/s for an update, or to lose contact again. So im just wondering.

*I feel like i should say, im not a rushy person. I know how it is to get backed up and to be slow. Money just doesnt come from thin air, so i have no issues waiting. But at some point or another, especially since its been since 2016 and the down payment was fairly significant for me, i feel like i may be getting the run around?? I dont want to make a beware until i 100% feel like there is NO other option. Especially since they have been kind through it, i just dont want to be a pushover.

If they're american, I think now would be the perfect time to bring it up since they'll likely be getting a stimulus check for $500 - $1200 in the next few weeks.

I think this is your best chance of getting a refund, because if you don't get it now when it pretty much is free money, it's been so long that I would imagine you're realistically never going to get a refund otherwise.

edit to add:

If you don't get it now and/or they put up a fuss, if you're not willing to go to small claims court over this I'd personally write off the money as a loss. It's been nearly 4 years. If that person wanted to refund you, they would've done it by now.

Edited by Bornes

7 hours ago, Bornes said:

If they're american, I think now would be the perfect time to bring it up since they'll likely be getting a stimulus check for $500 - $1200 in the next few weeks.

They are unfortunately in the netherlands. 

I figured as much. I was just hoping having had somewhat recent contact, and their sudden reappearance into the community meant they were going to right wrongs. Bummer.