Jump to content

Worried... should I just wait more?


Recommended Posts

Hello, I made an account here as I need an advice and I would like to keep this anonymous as possible. I'm going to do my best to keep some personal details vague since I do not want trouble in case I'm wrong.

So back around April, I ordered a pixel doll from an artist via Discord since they stated they will do priority orders over there. I paid full upfront (15$+) and they promised to deliver a WIP by Tuesday. When Tuesday came, there's still no WIP delivered. I thought maybe they are busy since they also mentioned life being hectic nowadays so I waited more. Following days, there's still no WIP sent.

On the beginning of May, I messaged again about the delay. They replied a day after and they apologized, stating they've been bombarded with stuff and hopefully they'll get  to do art. I understood and allowed them to take their time. I wouldn't want to bother them too much as they have a lot in their plate already.

On June, they updated their status and they explained that there's a lot that happened in life lately that they haven't been able to do the art. I felt bad for them but I sent a message to check in the progress just in case. They replied that they had some personal issues and they will be doing my commission tomorrow. They didn't send a WIP but I didn't mind waiting after that.

9 days later, they suddenly changed their discord name into "message me for my new account" and I decided to do just that. I see them online, sometimes playing a game but they haven't replied back. Usually they answer a day after and it's been two days since I sent the message.

I don't commission a lot so I'm getting a bit nervous. I thought maybe they haven't seen my DM but I don't know... What should I do? Am I overreacting? Should I be patient and wait more in case they reply? I'm sorry if the whole thing sounds confusing...

Edited by wickchlorite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

They've delivered two personal deadlines and let it slide twice.  At this point an ultimatum of a time limit for delivery should be considered.  If they don't deliver in the time frame (two weeks?) then a refund should be warranted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they set a deadline for a week or less after being commissioned and miss that deadline by two months there is something seriously wrong as it is, especially when they go on to change names and not respond.

Send another message asking for their new contact (since they opened that door) and to commit to one more deadline, whether they produce the art or a refund.  If they don't deliver or respond by that deadline your next option is disputing the transaction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You've asked more than once for WIPs, and they haven't delivered. Artists shouldn't give personal deadlines if they can't commit, and this one has failed you twice. It's fair to give an ultimatum given the circumstances, but it's even more suspicious IMO that they've hopped accounts. Based on that alone, I'd go ahead and ask for a refund. The account hopping makes me worry that they're trying to run from outstanding/angry clients, but that's just me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps I should do just that, I've been considering a refund or a chargeback since I've grown uninterested after missed deadlines... I would wait one day more and if they haven't replied, I will ask for a refund or a proof that they have been working on my order. I will update once something happen, thanks for the responses!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, wickchlorite said:

Perhaps I should do just that, I've been considering a refund or a chargeback since I've grown uninterested after missed deadlines... I would wait one day more and if they haven't replied, I will ask for a refund or a proof that they have been working on my order. I will update once something happen, thanks for the responses!

If you want the refund, do NOT ask them to prove they have been working on the commission. The artist may likely slap some lines down and send it to you, and then claim you can't get the refund and must either take a partial or wait for the completed art. Since it's hard to know exactly how to say it, an example for asking follows:

"Hello, I would like to point out that I have waited for my commission since April. In that time, you have given me two deadlines and no proof of work. I am now requesting a refund for $X. I will give you one week before I go through PayPal."

(If any others would like to chip in, please do.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, I haven't thought about that... I decided I can't wait for one more day anymore and I will send them that message right away regarding the refund. Although I feel a bit bad since something personal happened to them... Thank you for the help! I'm going to post once they replied or anything else that occur.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have found out another customer of the artist has also been waiting for an update of their commission 2 months ago and still waiting for the refund they asked for last week. They haven't received the refund yet and my ultimatum went unanswered too along with the dispute I opened yesterday. I decided to escalate the claim without waiting for the 1 week deadline since I also found out that they have been opening new commissions off site recently. I sent the artist a message again, letting them know I turned the dispute into a claim immediately.  I am wondering if that is alright to do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, wickchlorite said:

I have found out another customer of the artist has also been waiting for an update of their commission 2 months ago and still waiting for the refund they asked for last week. They haven't received the refund yet and my ultimatum went unanswered too along with the dispute I opened yesterday. I decided to escalate the claim without waiting for the 1 week deadline since I also found out that they have been opening new commissions off site recently. I sent the artist a message again, letting them know I turned the dispute into a claim immediately.  I am wondering if that is alright to do?

It's understandable after finding out new evidence like this, though don't be surprised if the artist is upset with the broken wait time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Paid Advertisement

×
×
  • Create New...