T-shrit Design Pricing

Vanessas

Hi,

I am looking to sell my services as a t-shirt designer. How do you determine price in this industry? What would be fair market for a flat fee? What about % for royalties? I would like to have a rough ball park before going out there and talking with companies. Thanks for all of your help!

• Administrator

Hiya!

I have a few designs I've sold commercially.  All of them have been with smaller sellers, and I personally just stick to selling out my rights.  You can do licensing for X amount of time, but in the case of the designs I did they were custom done for the shop that is using them.  They were 5x commission cost to completely sell out my rights.

Hi Celestina,

Thanks so much for the info!! So let's say you charge$100 for a custom design, in total you would get either $100 + % of royalties OR it would be a flat $500. I can see that making sense!  So do you know what market prices are roughly for commissions? I think I read between $150-$300/shirt or paid hourly. I was thinking of marketing my services to big social media influencers who have a ton of loyal followers. In that case I think it would make more sense to do a fee upfront + royalties (what % is customary?).  Thanks!!

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Vanessas said:

Hi Celestina,

Thanks so much for the info!! So let's say you charge$100 for a custom design, in total you would get either $100 + % of royalties OR it would be a flat $500. I can see that making sense!  So do you know what market prices are roughly for commissions? I think I read between $150-$300/shirt or paid hourly. I was thinking of marketing my services to big social media influencers who have a ton of loyal followers. In that case I think it would make more sense to do a fee upfront + royalties (what % is customary?).  Thanks!!

Yea that's right!  My simple designs end up being about $250 per design. They don't take me too much time at all.