Should I ask for a refund from an artist that hasn't shown me anything in nearly 2 months?

On July 3rd I commissioned an artist from Vgen but outside of Vgen for a drawing of 2 characters (based on a YCH pose) with a semi-complicated background (a bunch of abstract colors and bubbles). They said the rough draft would take about 3 days.

After the payment they said they would be away from the computer from the 10th to the 15th. There was no problem with me then.

Since then they haven't given me any updates, other than asking to be sure about the characters' placement on July 22 (one on the right and the other on the left.) This person is japanese and seems to have a limited grasp of the English language but uses a translator.

Since then it's been radio silence for a month. I understand if they had lots of other commissions to attend to on Vgen, or if they were busy with life in general, but I have asked them on Twitter, Vgen and email once each about their lack of updates.

Should I go for a refund? Because at this point I have no idea how long my commission is going to take, and I would rather work with someone who wouldn't ghost me like that...

• Senior Staff
Posted (edited)

That is your prerogative.

Without getting into finer details, the artist communicated with you that there would be delays after you paid, and you got a response a month ago. You have also mentioned you and the artist have a language barrier. The commission etiquette can vary from country to country, and discussions may need to be simplified to get your point across.

If you are antsy this early into the commission process, you should make a habit to look over an artist's TOS or discuss concrete deadlines for completion with an artist. I think it is unrealistic to expect weekly updates if an artist has a queue with other clients pending, and not just yourself. Especially if they offer big projects, illustrative works and pieces with multiple characters.

Getting into 'what if' scenarios are often resolved by reviewing the terms you agreed to as a client and if you feel comfortable in proceeding with anyone.

I personally do not bother with a lack of updates after a month, my threshold is 2-3 months without communication after payment.

Edited by baja

Thanks so much for the answer. Unfortunately this artist doesn't have a ToS and we never established a deadline. But that's why I've been trying to get a hold of them. To at least get an idea of when each step would be done. I'm antsy because they haven't responded to those questions. I've commissioned many artists and have had no problem with them completing my work after 1 or 2 months, but they've always been proactive in updating me.

I'll see how this develops. Hopefully the artist is okay and can answer my questions in the future.

Again, thank you so much for your answer.