issues with an inactive buyer

makarovs

hey there, a while ago i posted a few ychs and a client (that ive worked with previously) snatched up a few of them and requested a payment plan, im fine with payment plans and since ive worked with them previously without any issues i didnt think much of it. they paid for the first ych and they told me they could make payments every week, so that the entire sum would be paid off in about a month or a little over it depending on if theres any problem.

i finished the first ych and they seemed overall happy with it, though they asked for a fix and they were gonna provide a sketch so i know how exactly to fix it. its been about a week since then and theyre not replying to me or even reading my messages despite being active both on telegram (where we talk) and furaffinity (they even faved a new ych i posted) and also not to mention theyve missed out on 2 weeks worth of payment without letting me know. i didnt wanna seem pushy in the first week so i figured theyd come to me when theyre able to pay, but theyve been inactive for another week now like ive stated.

im not sure what to do? im obviously gonna give it more time, but im dreading being ghosted. since theyre active both on fa and telegram it doesnt seem like theyre just too busy to even read my messages, so any advice?

• Senior Staff

You need to be firm and direct in communications with the client moving forward, if you were not previously.

If they came to you with the agreement with the payment plan and they aren't following through, you should not have to subject yourself to uncertainty because they are not communicating with you.

Presuming you completed one YCH, and the others have not been started and paid for, you have the option to relist the remaining listings to allow others to have a shot.

If I was in your shoes, I'd give them one last chance to pay for (1) additional YCH, but I would not let them keep however many they originally claimed. If they don't pay for the YCH, just relist them.

As far as the current piece goes, inform them that you need their revisions for the piece you did complete by a strict date (a week, if you want). If they do not provide whatever needed to be fixed by that time, then the commission will be considered complete and no further revisions for the piece will be allowed.

If they wanted to be entitled to your time, they should have followed through with their commitment to you and compensated you accordingly. Regardless of past commission history, it falls to them to keep up their end of the transaction.

5 hours ago, baja said:

You need to be firm and direct in communications with the client moving forward, if you were not previously.

If they came to you with the agreement with the payment plan and they aren't following through, you should not have to subject yourself to uncertainty because they are not communicating with you.

Presuming you completed one YCH, and the others have not been started and paid for, you have the option to relist the remaining listings to allow others to have a shot.

If I was in your shoes, I'd give them one last chance to pay for (1) additional YCH, but I would not let them keep however many they originally claimed. If they don't pay for the YCH, just relist them.

As far as the current piece goes, inform them that you need their revisions for the piece you did complete by a strict date (a week, if you want). If they do not provide whatever needed to be fixed by that time, then the commission will be considered complete and no further revisions for the piece will be allowed.

If they wanted to be entitled to your time, they should have followed through with their commitment to you and compensated you accordingly. Regardless of past commission history, it falls to them to keep up their end of the transaction.

hey, thanks for your reply!

this customer has been very communicative, both during the first work weve done together a while ago and in the process of the first ych which is why i trusted them with taking on such a huge plan, they also sent the payment for the first ych instantly which is why i didnt think there would be any issue with any payments going forward! itll definitely be a learning experience though, that apprently even when theres so many "green flags" that stuff can still go wrong.

where do you suggest i contact them? should i send them the final notice through fa (where theyve been active + faving my new ychs) or through the paypal email they sent me, where they might receive an instant notification as opposed to fa? and how much time do you propose i should give them?

overall i kind of want to avoid relisting the ychs, were talking about a huge amount of money and multiple ychs, which is honestly a lot of work to relist and also re-advertise @-@ but i will of course do it if ill have to.

• Senior Staff

Cover your bases so you've done your due diligence. In the reverse of this situation (as a client being ghosted) I've sent correspondence in multiple avenues to make my intentions clear when I've reached an impasse with someone.

Touching upon the claimed work that was not paid for:

You are going to need to prepare for the possibility that your client may never pay up for the remaining slots in a timely manner. If your TOS for your work states to receive payment within 24 hours, it's something you should stick to moving forward.

You've said yourself it's a potentially large amount of money with multiple pieces that this one individual has claimed. It's cost you a lot more potential revenue in having all of this work stalled when the pieces could have gone to other buyers. You do yourself a disservice by letting them sit if you want to be paid.

As far as a time-frame? That is entirely up to you, and how much you value your time in continuing the transaction as is. How is this affecting your current queue, other clients, etc. These are all things to consider when in tough spots like this. You can give them a week, or a couple of days, but that should be your call after evaluating the time spent thus far and the time that may possibly be spent in prolonging your shaky situation with this client.