Con Pickup

theodor

Im interested in doing con pic up traditional art.badges, but I ABSOLUTELY can NOT ship out final products if people do not pick them up. Im willing to scan and provide digital copies, but I am not in a place I can ship things because I absolutely cannot deal with lost packages, and I know if you lose a package you automatically lose favour in a paypal case.

Is there any way I can offer con pic ups, but cover myself in case anyone misses their pick up and wants me to ship out?

I'd say to make this clear with your commissioners before they pay and set up meeting times and places or tell them to contact you or keep an eye out for contact. You should really be fine so long as you make sure they know that if they dont get the physical badge they'll be getting the digital copy instead.

If you do end up shipping eventually then an easy way to cover your bases with paypal is to input your tracking number and scan the image beforehand as well. Lost packages aren't as common as people might make them seem!

I regularly buy online purchases and I lose about 5% of them. But it's moreso that I cannot afford to replace them, and I actually cannot afford to ship out of the country. CanadaPost is ridic with is pricing, and even though its a tax write off, I just dont want to deal with it.

But yes, I'd make sure it was stated in multiple places I am ONLY doing pick up, and confirm via note with the transaction that Im only offering pick up. No shipping. Being upfront makes all the difference; I just dont want it to turn sour.

On 2/19/2019 at 2:39 AM, Rendrassa said:

A lot of artists charge extra for shipping, just be upfront about the added cost and it should be fine.

The issue is I dont want to ship out at all. So if they dont pick up, they lose out on the physical copy.

I have a question.  What are the badges made of?  Are they purely traditional or do you ever use programs like Photoshop to clean them up or add features, like sparkles or text?

If I were creating badges and didn't want to worry about shipping, I would advertise the commissions as "mixed media badges" with a combination of "traditional and digital" techniques.  I would state that the finished product would be a cleaned up version in Photoshop and that the traditional work might be available for at con pick up only. 

By presenting it this way I'd be able to give my client a finished product that didn't rely on me shipping anything. And I'd also get them excited about the digital version, so they didn't feel disappointed about only getting a scan of their commission if they couldn't do pick up.

On 2/21/2019 at 2:27 AM, Mortymaxwell said:

I have a question.  What are the badges made of?  Are they purely traditional or do you ever use programs like Photoshop to clean them up or add features, like sparkles or text?

If I were creating badges and didn't want to worry about shipping, I would advertise the commissions as "mixed media badges" with a combination of "traditional and digital" techniques.  I would state that the finished product would be a cleaned up version in Photoshop and that the traditional work might be available for at con pick up only. 

By presenting it this way I'd be able to give my client a finished product that didn't rely on me shipping anything. And I'd also get them excited about the digital version, so they didn't feel disappointed about only getting a scan of their commission if they couldn't do pick up.

They are purely traditional work.

I will not be doing them as it seems not shipping out missed pick ups would just come back on me. Thanks though! I might try this way of doing it if I ever attend a con again though. Its a good suggestion.