The amazing disappearing artist

LonelyRider

Not wanting to do a beware hoping it won't come to that. I have already been robbed in the past (this artist is aware of that but the situation is making me nervous.)

situation: I am a writer who has 2 lovely artists I work with who agreed up front to terms I offered regarding payment to them and use of their work etc. one of the artists has done book covers for me before (knows what ia m doing agreed to it was paid etc) and i love how this person draws my boys and girls, my OC's. Last year i wished to hire this artist and she disappeared for about 3 months, but it was ok, I hadn't paid, just had shown interest, so no NP. given this I am now getting nervous; this time I HAVE paid them, as we agreed, plus tip, which I recently sent a 2nd tip to sweeten the deal when politely saying hey I'm ready for my comm now but more politely. the gist; I prepaid, we agreed, artist sent me 2 concepts i picked one alls well. i get update sketch ok alls well. after this i am told will be done (very fast) in a few days i say ok dw i am still writing the book this is for dont rush yourself. that was 3 weeks ago. so i sent another 10$ and politely said hey my book is done i am ready when you are. but i am getting very nervous; artist has taken my tip but not replied.

I would stop tipping her as a means of asking for updates, because she might just be milking that like 'Oh LonelyRider will keep giving me money if I don't reply'. You already paid for the art and so it shouldn't be required for you to tip more to get the work that's supposed to be ready!

Yeah, I hear you; I'd prefer not to piss off this artist if at all possible as I said she draws my OC's so well (they are an original species I created so not everyone cal draw them well) and is so nice to me too/fairly priced but you are ofc correct. My plan as of now is to give it another 3 weeks, try again, then after that looks like I'll have to. oh, in case: i know the paypal window, how would this work when i only want a partial refund (if forced via paypal) as some work was indeed done and also 2 sending paypal proof, if the comm is mildly NSFW will that land me or the artist in trouble? I've heard paypal doesn't like NSFW. (again it's mild not explicit but enough to make a person perhaps raise a brow if they were "boring." for lack of a better word. ty for your replies guys!

I would stop giving the artist tips and I would send a firmer e-mail asking if you can get updates.  It's not good if your artist keeps vanishing like this. 

You mentioned this was for your book.  Is it a commercial commission?  Did you have a contract in place?  If so, what does your contract say about the work process, refunds and communication?

1. If it were me I would send something like this:

"Hi, how are you doing?  I'm following up on an e-mail I sent you on [DATE HERE] about a commission for my book. Could I please see your most current version of the picture and get an approximation on when the commission might be finished?  I've finished my book and it's important to me to know when I can publish the book and art associated with it."

Pleasant and cheerful, but honest about what your needs are.

2. Unless you have made other arrangements, I would suggest asking for a deadline. 

3. In the future, don't pay in full. Pay half up front and half on completion. 

4. For future book commissions... get a contract if you're not using one.  Have the artist send you an invoice and if you want to be extra safe, have them send you a Paypal invoice with a description of what the commission will be. For example...  "Commercial book cover. 2 foxes.  Full color with background." Those are some of the precautions I take when buying commercial art.

5. It worries me that you are afraid about upsetting the artist.  If she flips out over you being nice and polite that's her problem.

6. And if it were in your situation, I'd start looking for another artist to do your book covers in the future. Just in case this current commission doesn't work out. She might be really good at drawing your characters, but there are other artists out there who can do just as good a job and don't have communication issues.

Edited by Mortymaxwell

As the others said, stop throwing money at them, especially since they don't do anything in the first place. Have you tried to contact them via other mehtods? If it was over email, perhaps try to get a hold of them on social media and vice versa. If you can't, I'd send an ultimatum to them and wait, and possibly do a chargeback if they end up not doing anything after that.

Edited by Alkraas
Grammar

TY for your thoughtful answers guys!

I have an informal agreement with the artist as I do with my other 1; a made an offer and they both accepted, after learning a harsh lesson on here actually that I was (unintentionally) underpaying my artists; that's another reason i keep tipping, yes it is commercial, she knows this it's for amazon. half up front would be prudent my other artist (though so far np with her shes very fast) will only do full payment but ive had no issues from her. i like the idea of a second email as stated above slightly more firmly hey i need this for my book please. as for contacting them on another site it's only snapchat which i don't use i guess i could try messaging her on my BF's DA. too.

What I would suggest doing the next time you do a commercial commission with someone and you think they are under charging is ask what would be a good price to them.  Work together to come up with a price the two of you think is fair. 

I would stop tipping during the commission. If you like the work they do, you can tip afterwards once the commission is over. 

It's my opinion that tipping during the commission process  can be problematic.  It adds extra paperwork and numbers and when you are doing a serious transaction, like a commercial commission, you want to keep things clear and concise and stick to what you have on the contract. 

When I order a commercial comm I make sure I have at least two ways of contacting the artist and that they have two ways of contacting me in case something goes wrong.

hey ty for all the wonderful replies and suggestions, i have learned much!

the artist got back to me and sent me a completed pic, and said will send a higher res next (although this is good quality so i am satisfied now) she said she was ill and something about Chinese new year (thought she was American who knows) ty so much i guess i need to have a little more info from now on; 2 methods of communication & deadlines. ty ya'll