Commissioner Blaming Paypal for reason they can't pay?

Luna996

So I sold a YCH the other day that went fairly quickly, however come time for the person to pay they stated "PayPal isn't accepting my bank account and won't let me pay". I told them that it wasn't my problem and I didn't know what to tell them other than contact paypal support and that they had until tomorrow (today now) to pay. It was listed in the rules before claiming that payment was expected within 24 hours unless otherwise notified in a PM.

So I gave them a time window saying if they didn't pay, the artwork would be put back up for someone else to buy instead. Sure enough they still said paypal was giving them problems and couldn't pay.

My question is: is this a common excuse people are starting to give? is it even the artists's fault the person claims/bids on a YCH and the person can't pay because paypal isn't working for said person?

I'm just kinda agitated that this happened, especially when it says:

"- You must be serious when claiming. If you think you'll bid and retract your claim 5 min later, or decide you can't pay if you win; this isn't for you.
- Paypal Only
- Payment is expected to be made 24 hours after the auction ends unless otherwise discussed via note"

Should I add something in my ToS for those who don't pay? Is this viewed as a waste of my time when this happens? I need some advice here because this isn't the first time someone failed to pay me, and I'm at a loss on how to address the matter properly.

It sounds to me like:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/why-can’t-i-make-or-send-a-payment-faq3628

The customer's account may be limited or they might need to verify information.

Or the customer might be starting a new Paypal account and having trouble linking their bank account.  The screen to link a bank account can be a pain.  But if that's the case, they should have gotten their bank account linked before they bid on your auction.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Payments-Archive/PayPal-won-t-accept-my-bank-account/td-p/724209

37 minutes ago, Mortymaxwell said:

It sounds to me like:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/why-can’t-i-make-or-send-a-payment-faq3628

The customer's account may be limited or they might need to verify information.

Or the customer might be starting a new Paypal account and having trouble linking their bank account.  The screen to link a bank account can be a pain.  But if that's the case, they should have gotten their bank account linked before they bid on your auction.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Payments-Archive/PayPal-won-t-accept-my-bank-account/td-p/724209

The problem with that is they stated this is happening a lot with their account and bank not linking or accepting and such. It made no sense to me and such, and really I didn't want to sound rude but I did tell them flat out it wasn't my problem and they should of had it fixed before bidding/claiming the piece.

Still, I haven't a clue what to do to prevent this from happening again, or having a person make a repeat of the same problem with future YCHs

If it were me I would add:

"Paypal only from a working and verified Paypal account."

A cancellation policy in case someone who makes you uncomfortable bids, etc.

Your rule for what happens if someone can't pay.  For example: "If you cannot pay, you won't be allowed to bid on my auctions in the future."  You have "if you can't pay this isn't for you" but I think you need something firmer and stronger.

I looked at your YCH on your FA gallery and it says nothing about the consequences of failing to pay or your right to reject a commission or refuse service. 

Edited by Mortymaxwell
added ideas

48 minutes ago, Mortymaxwell said:

If it were me I would add:

"Paypal only from a working and verified Paypal account."

A cancellation policy in case someone who makes you uncomfortable bids, etc.

Your rule for what happens if someone can't pay.  For example: "If you cannot pay, you won't be allowed to bid on my auctions in the future."  You have "if you can't pay this isn't for you" but I think you need something firmer and stronger.

I looked at your YCH on your FA gallery and it says nothing about the consequences of failing to pay or your right to reject a commission or refuse service. 

Strange i thought i added it. e.e Maybe it got removed when i updated.

• Administrator

So it's not entirely unheard of, and Paypal can get a little.... funny.  Especially with clients who are big spenders and end up flagging Paypal's internal fraud systems.  I had a very good repeat client who ordered a lot of art.  His Paypal would regularly lock itself and fall under fraud investigation because he would send regular large payments to Russian artists.  It was weird.

Now, I give my client plenty of grace period.  He's never let me down.  For other clients there's a 48 hour window where payment has to be made after agreement or they fall under my slot abandonment clause.  Repeated slot abandonment end up with the client being added to my blacklist.