What do you think of these types of auctions?

In the past, a popular artist has taken commissions for full illustration through auction. 

The auction is for the winning bidder to get added to the artist's commission list. The winning bidder can then discuss what they want to have commissioned with the artist.  The artist gives them a quote and they pay that amount on top of whatever the winning bid came out to.

So...let's say the winning bid was $300 for the auction and the artist charges $600 for an illustration.

The client would pay $300 to get on the artist's queue + $600 for the cost of the commission itself.

The artist's auction descriptions says: " I would like to make absolutely clear that this is an auction for the commission SLOT only. The winner will still be required to pay the cost of their commission (however much that is based on their request) in addition to the price for the slot. So, (total price) = (slot price) + (commission price)."

This got mixed feedback.  Some customers and fellow artists were uncomfortable with the idea and others said, "This is a great idea! I really like this!"

As a customer, is something like this something you would be comfortable bidding on? Or if you were an artist, would you choose to run your auctions this way? There were several very enthusiastic comments from other artists, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did this type of auction themselves one day.

Edited by Mortymaxwell

• Administrator

It's different I'll say. I'd approach it the way I'd approach art prices normally:  if clients are willing to pay good for them. If the market considers it ridiculous then the market won't bid.

It's something I personally wouldn't participate in though.

8 minutes ago, Celestina said:

It's different I'll say. I'd approach it the way I'd approach art prices normally:  if clients are willing to pay good for them. If the market considers it ridiculous then the market won't bid.

It's something I personally wouldn't participate in though.

Agree completely.  I'd never buy or sell anything like that, myself.  But if others will pay for it/do it, that's not my business.

Seems weird to me. As far as I understood (correct me if I'm wrong), you bid $300 on an auction and you win. But the artist charges $600 for the illustration so you'll pay $900 instead. My question being...what is the $300 paid for? A place on the queue? Shouldn't a place on the queue be given anyway, for free, if you commission someone? If I'm right, about this, I wouldn't commission nor sell something like this. Sounds rather obscure to me.

Edited by Alkraas
Typo

@Alkraas it sounds like they're paying a price for the slot... Perhaps the artist doesn't open for slots very often or is under such heavy demand that slots are taken within seconds/minutes.

I'm with the others... I'd never participate in it personally but if the artist is such high demand that clients are willing to pay that, good for them.