Pricing On-Base Adopts?

Kei

A good portion of my business is selling adoptables that are made on bases that I've purchased.  [All of the ones I use for this are allowed to be used for adopts/sales/profits.]  Sometimes I edit the base in a small way [I work with a mouse, not a tablet, so I'm limited to simple changes like piercings, jewelry, stockings, etc.], but most times I leave the base as-is and just color it.

I've never really considered the pricing of these adoptables in-depth.  Almost all of my adoptables are Pay What You Want/PWYW where I set a minimum price that I'll accept.  Usually I just slap on whatever price comes to mind that seems fair; there's no rhyme or reason to it.  Generally I price mine between $3USD and $18USD minimums.

But anyways.

How do you guys price adopts?  How much [if at all] do your prices differ between on- and off-base designs?  Do you have any system/rules as to what you set prices as?  Any advice about how I'm doing things?

I don't personally have a system on how I price my adopts, other than
"If I were to buy this, how much would I spend?"

But I am like you as well; my adopts are all on bases, which I edit for whatever purpose I need.
Sometimes I wish someone would tell me what they are worth cos man at times, I struggle, lol.

I used charge for the time I put into it. Like, if I used a base, typically coloring would take me 30 minutes if it's simple or a hour or more for more complexity. Then anything I add, like jewelry as your example, would add to the time. Back when I did adopts, I charged at least $10 an hour, so they would range between $5 and $15 as a result. If you go by the hourly price, make sure you're charging at least your area's minimum wage.

2 hours ago, lunarhallow said:

If you go by the hourly price, make sure you're charging at least your area's minimum wage.

Ah, I would never feel comfortable charging that much...  Because I work with a mouse and not a tablet, I can spend 5, 10, maybe even 15 hours on an adopt.  No one's going to buy any of them for $100+ which 10 or 15 hours would add up to.

4 minutes ago, Kei said:

Ah, I would never feel comfortable charging that much...  Because I work with a mouse and not a tablet, I can spend 5, 10, maybe even 15 hours on an adopt.  No one's going to buy any of them for $100+ which 10 or 15 hours would add up 

Some auction styles adopts go for that much, but yeah it is hard to sell custom designs for that much. The most mine ever went for was $60 (original work full ref type thing) in an auction war.

$5-$30 seems to be the normal range among the furry community as I've seen over the years.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:33 PM, Kei said:

A good portion of my business is selling adoptables that are made on bases that I've purchased.  [All of the ones I use for this are allowed to be used for adopts/sales/profits.]  Sometimes I edit the base in a small way [I work with a mouse, not a tablet, so I'm limited to simple changes like piercings, jewelry, stockings, etc.], but most times I leave the base as-is and just color it.

I've never really considered the pricing of these adoptables in-depth.  Almost all of my adoptables are Pay What You Want/PWYW where I set a minimum price that I'll accept.  Usually I just slap on whatever price comes to mind that seems fair; there's no rhyme or reason to it.  Generally I price mine between $3USD and $18USD minimums.

But anyways.

How do you guys price adopts?  How much [if at all] do your prices differ between on- and off-base designs?  Do you have any system/rules as to what you set prices as?  Any advice about how I'm doing things?

I'm not an artist so I couldn't say how others price their's. be that as it may here's my 2 cents.

The fact you have paid for the base used to make the adopts should affect the price. If you got to use a base that's free to use then it shouldn't be part of the price.

My only question is; do you have to pay to use the bases annually or is it a single flat fee? If it's a flat fee then you'll eventually get you money back with the adopts as time goes by, but if you have to pay it annually then it;s best to only make enough adopts to get back your money for the first year of that annual payment, that way once you've got the money back you can pay to use them for another year.

The only other thing I'll say is I think an adopt made using a base should always be cheaper than an adopt created from scratch. I think as long as your prices reflect this, you should be fine in general.