Greetings! Would like to discuss about my prices.

HoshinoArts

Hello, fellow artists and commissioners! I'd like to start a discussion about commission pricing and my history of working with clients.

So basically I started taking commission work around 2016, after being encouraged, and I recall my first commissions were several environment artworks priced at USD50 each. As time went on and I improved, I decided to raise my prices in order to reflect those changes.

From 2017-18, I've received and completed around 20 commissions, all of them via Discord, and they have paid in full each time (I go by a 50-50 system, half delivery once details are confirmed, and remainder upon completion of work.)

May not be much, but that is because I was very busy with college and as such, I can only open commissions in certain periods.
Attached in this post is my current commission sheet as of Dec 2018, although it can vary depending on amount of details (and I do tell this to my client), and I would like to seek feedback from you guys.

Most of the commissions that have followed through were fine with my rates, though some wanted to commission but felt they were on the steep side.

Thank you very much.

Commission_IND.thumb.jpg.0e9efaf8c771984a8585988f5275eaa1.jpg

Edited by HoshinoArts

Echoing Celestina, your style is very lovely.

Regarding your prices, I think I agree - you're on target, possibly low. I can see that you put a lot of detail into your work, and that tells me that your pieces take time, even at the portrait level. You're offering full color work here, too, with backgrounds, simple but present. All of that adds up to the values that you've laid out.

2 hours ago, Bornes said:

I think it depends on what your turnaround time is, which no one else has mentioned.

Good point, that would definitely factor into my decision to buy something at a price point like this.

Your prices seem fine.

1) I'd like to know what size and resolution are your commissions? A3 is more time consuming than A4, so if you work on a larger canvas that could affect the pricing.

2) How do you price complex characters?  Does that $150 for full body include Gaia Online characters or would you charge for additional details? You might want to consider adding a price for very detailed characters.

Assuming your commissions are larger in size/canvas, your pricing is pretty fair for the quality of your work.

Some advice: I have had plenty of people call my prices "steep" or "expensive." Yet I still get commissions. Genuine customers who value your work will pay for it whatever the price is, because they understand that art is a luxury. They also know that they're buying a custom product created by you from scratch, and custom products take more time and a considerable amount of skill. Other factors such as a pleasant personality and good turnaround/good business transaction increase the chances of repeat customers who won't mind your prices and want to support you in any way they can.

This is entirely optional, but I've been told this by some artist friends: If you feel like you've improved over the year and see a quality increase in your work, consider raising your prices at the beginning of the next year. If you're not comfortable, keep them the same, but you can bump them up later if you think you're putting in more work than what you're being paid for.

Good luck! ❤️

Edited by PeachyMars

On 1/15/2019 at 11:49 AM, Bornes said:

I think it depends on what your turnaround time is, which no one else has mentioned.

Hello there! I usually tell my clients that they can expect the delivery in two to three weeks. I try to give myself a more generous deadline because real life things can occur at any time, and they are okay with that timeframe.

During that period i'll make it a habit to DM the client with regular WIP screenshots, as well.

Edited by HoshinoArts

On 1/16/2019 at 6:26 AM, Mortymaxwell said:

Your prices seem fine.

1) I'd like to know what size and resolution are your commissions? A3 is more time consuming than A4, so if you work on a larger canvas that could affect the pricing.

2) How do you price complex characters?  Does that $150 for full body include Gaia Online characters or would you charge for additional details? You might want to consider adding a price for very detailed characters.

1) I usually work on A4 by default unless otherwise mention and at 300 dpi for the final work!
2) Am still working on this one, but complex characters refer to stuff like very detailed armor, a lot of loose parts, etc. 

For your latter part of the question, you are right. Currently I am in the process of revamping the sheet to include other style like Chibi, so clients can have more choices.

Edited by HoshinoArts