Headshot Commission, minimal communication, no delivery in 4 months

Alkraas

Hello AB community!

Around 3-4 months ago, I commissioned a Flat colored Headshot/Bust from a user on Furry Amino. I don't remember the actual price but I paid them 5 USD (low, I know). Everything went well first, we exchanged information and payment info, yadda yadda, the typical procedure. I have only recieved a sketch in that time and mostly had to ask for updates myself.

They admitted they had a lot of icons (flat colored headshots) to do for others, which made me nervous, I assume they bit more than they can chew. Yesterday I gave them an ultimatum that they should finish my commission in 2 weeks or give me a refund, they have not replied yet.

I have compiled a screenshot of our chat here, name and the avatar is blacked out, because this is only an advice post, not a beware or caution. I think if they don't do anything until the 2 weeks have passed, I'll file a Paypal chargeback.

https://sta.sh/0ndbhmbpxoi

I'd like to know: How can this be fixed? Did I do the right thing? What should I do if they don't reply to the ultimatum? I'm scared that I went too aggressive on them, but I feel like a lined, flat colored headshot wouldn't take that long.

Thank you!

Edited by Alkraas

You could've worded some things a little better, but overall yes, you did the right thing.
And when I say "worded things better" I don't mean that you were rude, just that it left a bit of wiggle room. It's too late now, but in the future, you should put all of the following in your ultimatums:
- the [exact] date you sent this ultimatum
- the date you commissioned them, and what you commissioned them for
- the price you paid
- the time they said the commission would be done by (if applicable)
- an exact date at least 7 days in the future
- the actual ultimatum (do X or I do Y).

Quick example (made up with inspiration from your screencaps):

Hi Artist,
I commissioned you on 5 October 2018 for a colored headshot for 5 USD. You said the expected turnaround for completion was about a month. As of [today's date], I have only received a WIP sketch. At this point, if I don't receive the completed colored headshot by [exact date 2 weeks in the future], I will be opening a paypal claim for a refund. Alternatively, I'm willing to accept a refund now if you no longer wish to complete the commission.
Thank you,
Commissioner

Here's what a message like this (ideally sent over email) does:
- Lets the artist know you're incredibly serious about this situation
- Gives the artist everything they need to know about your commission in one message (helps if the artist is unorganized)
- That same information is all in one message for your paypal claim - less evidence to gather if you end up sending this in to paypal (or court, if your situation calls for it). Makes everyone's jobs easier.
- Gives a rigid deadline for the call to action. Precise dates are harder to wiggle their way out of to get more time from you. Also, again, very helpful for your paypal case should it come to that.
- Said rigid deadline is ALSO for you! If you don't hear anything by the deadline, the next day you better be filing that paypal claim. If you don't back up your threats, what use was the ultimatum to begin with?

Overall, it sounds like you're on the right track. The onus is now on the artist. You can choose to give them more time if you feel whatever excuse they give is believable/worthy, but you are not an interest-free loan for artists, you're a customer of a business and a business that doesn't deliver its goods should not remain in business.

Yes it's only 5 bucks, but it's really up to you how you want to handle this. You hold all the cards until the claim window for paypal expires.

3 minutes ago, Bornes said:

You could've worded some things a little better, but overall yes, you did the right thing.
And when I say "worded things better" I don't mean that you were rude, just that it left a bit of wiggle room. It's too late now, but in the future, you should put all of the following in your ultimatums:
- the [exact] date you sent this ultimatum
- the date you commissioned them, and what you commissioned them for
- the price you paid
- the time they said the commission would be done by (if applicable)
- an exact date at least 7 days in the future
- the actual ultimatum (do X or I do Y).

Quick example (made up with inspiration from your screencaps):

Hi Artist,
I commissioned you on 5 October 2018 for a colored headshot for 5 USD. You said the expected turnaround for completion was about a month. As of [today's date], I have only received a WIP sketch. At this point, if I don't receive the completed colored headshot by [exact date 2 weeks in the future], I will be opening a paypal claim for a refund. Alternatively, I'm willing to accept a refund now if you no longer wish to complete the commission.
Thank you,
Commissioner

Here's what a message like this (ideally sent over email) does:
- Lets the artist know you're incredibly serious about this situation
- Gives the artist everything they need to know about your commission in one message (helps if the artist is unorganized)
- That same information is all in one message for your paypal claim - less evidence to gather if you end up sending this in to paypal (or court, if your situation calls for it). Makes everyone's jobs easier.
- Gives a rigid deadline for the call to action. Precise dates are harder to wiggle their way out of to get more time from you. Also, again, very helpful for your paypal case should it come to that.
- Said rigid deadline is ALSO for you! If you don't hear anything by the deadline, the next day you better be filing that paypal claim. If you don't back up your threats, what use was the ultimatum to begin with?

Overall, it sounds like you're on the right track. The onus is now on the artist. You can choose to give them more time if you feel whatever excuse they give is believable/worthy, but you are not an interest-free loan for artists, you're a customer of a business and a business that doesn't deliver its goods should not remain in business.

Yes it's only 5 bucks, but it's really up to you how you want to handle this. You hold all the cards until the claim window for paypal expires.

Thank you! I try my best to be nice and I don't really like asking or "threatening" people, so I know I did a little bit too soft. First time I had to do this too. I greatly appreciate your feedback and will use it whenever something similiar happens again. Thank you a lot for your time!

• 3 weeks later...

"Hello, I commissioned you for a headshot on October 2018. I paid [WHATEVER AMOUNT YOU PAID].  I had requested either the artwork or a refund.  You had asked if I could wait until January 25th, 2018. That date has passed and I've decided it would be best to ask for that refund. I think it would be in both our best interests. I don't want to wait any longer for the artwork, especially since the Paypal window will be coming up soon, and also, you seem very busy. Refunding me help would free up your queue. Please send the refund of [WHATEVER AMOUNT YOU PAID] to [YOUR PAYPAL ADDRESS] by [WHATEVER DATE YOU WANT TO GIVE THEM].  If I do not receive the refund by then, I'll have to ask Paypal to get involved."

If it were me I'd send a note like that. Explain why you want the refund but also point out why it would be in their best interests to give one.