Should I Warn Other Commissioners?

Excel

Hi there, first thanks for taking the time to check out my post!

I'm going to give ya some backstory so that you can get a better overall picture of the situation before proposing some ideas. 

I'm very inexperienced in the realm of commissions and I'm a bit unsure on how to proceed. When we first commissioned the artist for emotes, we had only very slight delays but the communication was there and they did fulfill their end of the bargain. As of this last commission though, being our first and now going to be our only group commission, it's been an absolute pain. Our group originally had someone we thought we could trust to handle managing the commission and stay in communication with the artist to be sure things stayed on track. The person in question though would lie to us though, saying things were on track and no actual progress was made for 6 months by the actual artist. The original manager left the group and I decided to take over. 

Things started off decently, but overall progress has been an absolute pain. I was initially too forgiving and told them that extensions were fine, but they would keep pushing back things over and over. The artist, to be fair, is very slowly completing our groups commission but between the starting time (June 24th, 2020) to now has been absolutely unacceptable. While I can't do really anything for my own groups commission since we're way past the option to have Paypal help us, I do want to warn others about the artist. I've been able to track down a good bit of other commissioners through the artists Trello, and thus I have the following inquiries:

1. Would it be a bad idea to contact the commissioners and warn them about the artist?
  2. Should I apply for a caution/beware first and depending on that outcome then talk to the commissioners?
  3. If/when the caution's processed, would it be a bad idea to post it on every platform the artist has access to?
  4. What do you believe would be the best approach for this situation?

I'm still not sure what the exact best course of action would be in this situation, and hell it's possible that after the content has been reviewed by the team here that I'm in the wrong here. No matter what the outcome may be though, I appreciate anyone and everyone who's taken the time to read my post as well as for those who have replied!

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Excel said:

1. Would it be a bad idea to contact the commissioners and warn them about the artist?
  2. Should I apply for a caution/beware first and depending on that outcome then talk to the commissioners?
  3. If/when the caution's processed, would it be a bad idea to post it on every platform the artist has access to?
  4. What do you believe would be the best approach for this situation?

1.) Yes; they don't know you and they might assume you're causing unnecessary grief.

2. Just file the beware for review. Why? See point 1.

3. This is basically considered harassment by almost every art site community online. Its not a good look so please don't.

4. See point 2. If accepted you can tell the artist, RT the update tweet from our Twitter but that's it.

Give this artist an ultimatum with a hard deadline for completion or they can refund you. No extensions, nada. You're not friends you're doing business and you both need to treat it as such. 

• Senior Staff

1) is an incredibly bad idea. While you have good intentions, this can be viewed as unsolicited harassment.
Not every person will react favorably to this, and it is entirely possible that not every client has had a similar experience to yours.

2) feel free to submit a post to us, read our Submission Guidelines thoroughly before sending something in for our team to review.

3) once a post is approved, we post a link via our twitter that you may retweet or link it where acceptable to add some visibility.

4)  You are more than welcome to inform a subject that you will be openly speaking about your experiences as you are unhappy with the outcome of the commission, and often times we do encourage the transparency. Xai has put it succinctly.

Taking everything stated thus far into account, our platform is strictly informational and attempting to use it as a means of harassment is unacceptable. The conduct of this individual doesn't sound great, but we are not a platform for drama; confrontations, no matter how difficult they might be, should be kept as professional as possible.

Overall? Be prepared to eat the loss in this situation and take it as a lesson learned for future commissions.