Need advice on a character being sold twice.

Hey everyone. Wasn't sure where to post this but opted for the sub-forum.

I need some advice on how to tackle a rather tricky situation.

Back in 2017, I helped out a (now ex) friend who was in financial crisis by purchasing one of their characters for a rather large sum of money, paid in installments.

Fastforward about a year later (so, 2018), and this friend and I have become an item of sorts. They are struggling to come up with a new 'sona and I eventually take pity on them and tell them they can use their old character, even if it's still mine. We talked about a sort of co-ownership.

During this one year since purchase, I've invested quite a lot of money in additional art of said character.

Now let's fastforward about... 10 months or so, to the start of 2019. Things have fallen through between us. I confront them about giving me back the character I purchased, but my request is completely ignored.

Fastforward to today (as in, this month) and they have now gone and sold the character AGAIN. I have yet to find out for how much, but I imagine a hefty sum. The person who bought the character this time around had no idea of previous on-goings.

My question is... What should I do? Does this validate a full A_B post?

For the record, what I want, what I see as an ideal result, is that I get my money back, and that the person (whose name will not be mentioned) who recently purchased the character will retain full ownership once that's all settled.

Thanks for reading.

• Administrator

Howdy.

This isn't something the advice forum can answer you. Only a queue mod can when a post is in front of them.

However generally speaking when personal relationships are muddied like this we are very hesitant to accept a post. To a small extent because we have to weigh in that someone may be doing this as a jilted ex trying to spite their partner. And we don't want to be used in that manner.

But mostly because proof is going to be difficult to supply. Not only because we don't allow mentions of personal issues, but also because relationships there aren't character custody hearings. The onus of proof that the character was 100% yours when you broke up is going to be on you. Not "implied" because as you said, it was "co-owned". Explicitly said to be yours. Whatever money you spent is irrelevant. If I divorced my husband tomorrow I wouldn't be able to get a refund on the couples art we got while together.

We will be happy to look at whatever you send us if you feel we should see it.

I'm going to close your thread because there's nothing the community at large can answer 

• James locked this topic