question: is it normal for a commissioner to not respond right away?

fruity

ey, I just yesterday, I recently done a commission for someone. they were kinda active enough for the most part but for some reason, once I finished the final piece, they haven't responded back for several hours. im started to grow extremely anxious and paranoid about their well being.. i'm scared that if they don't respond back in 3 days i might've no chance but to cancel the commission. 

On 4/10/2020 at 5:52 PM, sbneko said:

Is this commission not paid for yet, and that's why you're nervous about it?

sorry for the late reply, they paid me half for the initial sketch and i'm waiting for the later half to be paid once  they suggest some fixes for the final piece. it's been a few days however. the only possible theory is that maybe he's busy with a lot of things.  since, i'm a naturally paranoid person. should i contact them to make sure.

Hm, keep in mind that it a was long weekend holiday if they celebrate it, plus lots happening with covid. So I think a few days isn’t too worrisome yet. I’d wait until at least Tuesday, since Monday is a holiday for most, and maybe just poke them Tuesday night to politely say you’re waiting on a response. 

For the future, try not to panic if it’s only been a few hours as you mentioned in your post. Even those who are very fast at responding can suddenly get busy or head to bed! :3 I usually wait two days before poking unless it’s more urgent, like a deadline. 

On 4/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, fruity said:

they haven't responded back for several hours

That's... a bit quick to jump to conclusions. They could be at work, in bed, or just hanging out with friends and not reading messages for a few hours. This definitely sounds like paranoia is getting to you. Just as an example, me going to work, then running errands after I get off the clock has kept me away from responding to messages for 12, sometimes 13 hours. I don't mean to ignore or frustrate anyone, it's just how my schedule can be sometimes.

Just relax, give it a few days, and if you still don't have a response give them another gentle poke.

Edited by BaronVonClop

I always give 48 hours before attempting contact again.  You don't know their work schedule, their home life, their internet situation, etc.  They may only use the internet at work, and prioritise family while at home, or have weird Tuesday/Thursday weekends, which are the only days they're available.  Also, the fact that it took you three days to respond to the first question you were asked on this thread should answer your own question.  Sometimes people just straight up don't notice or think to check.

• Senior Staff
On 4/13/2020 at 9:18 AM, fruity said:

sorry for the late reply, they paid me half for the initial sketch and i'm waiting for the later half to be paid once  they suggest some fixes for the final piece. it's been a few days however. the only possible theory is that maybe he's busy with a lot of things.  since, i'm a naturally paranoid person. should i contact them to make sure.

I sincerely hope you put a huge watermark(s) over your piece. With the remaining payment on the line and it having been more than 17 days now, seeing as you haven't responded to this and I'm unsure if you're still unpaid as far as we know.