Client tries to get image before full payment

Alkraas

Someone has commissioned me for a christmas themed art for their boyfriend, they agreed to pay a partial payment due to insuffecient funds (5€ out of 19.60€). I agreed to finish the artwork before full payment was received. So I did, and sent them the finished art, compressed and with 5 watermarks all over. Now they're trying to beg me to start on the badge, eventho we agreed that I would only start making the badge after full payment was recieved. Their argument was that they really need it before christmas and keep begging me to continue now, eventhough I haven't recieved even half of the funds now.

This is making me really stressed and kinda uncomfortable, how do I proceed with this. I've been thinking of just keeping the 5€ they sent and let them keep the finished bust drawing and eat the loss. I was wondering how you'd deal with this...

Edited by Alkraas

• Administrator

I absolutely would not.  They're attempting to guilt trip you to send over art that they knew they couldn't afford.  It's not your problem if they don't get it by Christmas.  Tell them no, stand firm.  Don't justify or argue with them.  Just tell them how much is due and leave it at that. 

Absolutely not. They get nothing until they've paid in full. There's virtually zero chance you'll ever see that money if you deliver the art before they pay.

If it is getting to the point that they are stressing you out over something that is their problem to deal with, I'd just refund the money and cancel the commission.