How to make friends with other artists?

washup

Friendships happen over time, many artists are rather nervous about friendships because most of us get/got used as a free art bank.

I'd advise to just keep commenting and talking to artists and maybe sometime, they'll open up. I find Amino great, because the app features public chatrooms.

7 minutes ago, Alkraas said:

Friendships happen over time, many artists are rather nervous about friendships because most of us get/got used as a free art bank.

I'd advise to just keep commenting and talking to artists and maybe sometime, they'll open up. I find Amino great, because the app features public chatrooms.

I understand why that would be concerning.

I'll try Amino, thanks for the advice 😄

I'd be wary about Amino due to the mass amount of minors on it.

But also, I generally dont chat with people because every time I do, I get used for free art. Artists seem snobby or cold specifically because it happens to use regularly. Ive made friends with people though art trades, because it shows you're willing to work/pay to get their art, and arent after free stuff. Also, joining group chats on telegram/discord. If you're aiming to befriend a specific artist, I advise against it. Befriending someone just for their name/art isnt cool.

• 1 month later...
  • Senior Staff

I know this has been sitting here for a while but I gotta comment

You build friendships with artists like you would for literally anyone else, through simple interaction and building up more as you find you enjoy each other's company. First, comment on stuff more, for one. Comments are a low impact way of engaging with people and fielding how you two might interact. And I don't mean just compliments, I mean just talking. Everyone is different, how they want to be talked to and what they want to talk about will be different so keep that in mind. But BELIEVE me, artists absolutely notice the people that pop up and say things, especially now when people are more inclined to fave and repost and move on, comments leave such a huge impact and make one feel like they matter enough to be engaged with.

This assumption that some people are 'snobbish' is a complete misconception. Many artists have a lot of anxiety or fears due to previous manipulation by others. Their popularity has brought people to them that have leeched off of them because of their popularity, and seeing something that looks like that again will make them cagey. They will often be more difficult to gain the trust of and that's not a failing of you, personally, and if you take it personally then you probably wouldn't be a good fit for each other, anyway.

But also ask yourself, why do you want to be friends with an artist, specifically. Because their art is good is a pretty flimsy reason, and can lead to more disappointment than anything. You may find that some people you mesh the best with may not even draw the things you like the most. Above all else, being friends with creators means supporting them and their endeavors, because friendship goes beyond just a vector of similar interest. If you cannot support someone with something you may not be interested in then maybe being friends with that person isn't for you. I cannot tell you how soul crushing it is to have people you think are friends, drop you, because you wouldn't draw for them or because you wouldn't create the subject matter they wanted. (which is exactly what leads to so many artists being cagey and slow to trust.)