Customer doesnt believe

theodor

I have fractured my drawing wrist and have posted updates to my customers all month. I have also beed extremely ill. One of my customers asks for updated and I reply every time about being ill/the wrist. I have been working through it the best I can, but I am delayed, obviously. But the customer has not come to me and has included overtones that they dont believe me, and is accusing me of taking on more work while not completing the old stuff. I have provided them all my WIPs, and my small amount of posts this month, but theyre rejecting proof from IRL sources about the illness and wrist (and the rejection of my health care). They dont want a refund, but are insisting on an ultimatum 'If I have a legit excuse', but wont accept the proof. I dont have their exact info to force a refund and they dont seem to want one.

I have never been in a situation where the customer DOESNT want the refund but doesnt want to wait. What do I do?

• Administrator

They don't get a choice. While it's reasonable to a degree to be wary of some artist's behavior who fake illness and such.

With proven proof they should have stood down. Instead they're choosing to call you out and you're obviously uncomfortable with this client.

Force. The. Refund.

They don't have a choice anymore their work is canceled. They're blacklisted from your queue too.

Mind you since the cancel is artist initiated so they get all funds. Turn their WIP into an adopt or a YCH.

If they continue to deny a refund, you can say that the money is a donation and they keep the WIP and that's it. But I am personally hesitant to advise the latter since they could just chargeback.

But regardless of the outcome remember your health comes first and if they can't hang with that they can go two steps to the left.

• Administrator

Basically what Xai said.  Regardless of what they want their constant badgering and refusing to believe you has to be putting stress on you.  This isn't good for your recovery.  I'm actually concerned that you're drawing at all!

You can tell them that either they can lay off and let you work, or they will receive an immediate refund.  They can either supply you their email so you can refund them, and they can accept the refund, or you'll consider it a charitable donation.

This is going to be a scenario where they're hoping you'll bump them to the top of the queue and do their work.  That is the only option they're looking for if they don't want a refund, but don't want to wait.  That scenario can't be good for your recovery, either.

Isn't there an option within paypal to force the refund? If the exchange is not through email ask them if you and them could continue it through email 'because it's easier for you' (even if it's not the case). Then see if the email they use matches any of the payments in paypal, if it does force the refund and then block them. It's really not worth the stress and your wrist needs to rest.

I again asked for their email to refund, and they said they would wait. They wouldnt give their details for a refund. I will keep them in my queue for now, but I am worried they will 'put me on blast' once I complete the artwork. They gave me a week ultimatum with their original post. 'I'm willing to give you like... maybe a week? two if you legitimately have a good reason"

3 hours ago, Fauwcks said:

Isn't there an option within paypal to force the refund? If the exchange is not through email ask them if you and them could continue it through email 'because it's easier for you' (even if it's not the case). Then see if the email they use matches any of the payments in paypal, if it does force the refund and then block them. It's really not worth the stress and your wrist needs to rest.

There is, if its within the time frame!

My paypal doesnt show anything on the details except names, so I need them to give me the name on their account. The commission purchased was via a batch and they are all the same amounts. I dont want to ask them which is theres, as I would have to give out peoples names. I confirm people pay, but I dont wrist down any details elsewhere for privacy reasons.

• Administrator

No no no. Do not give them an option at this point.

Take them off your queue.

"I'm honestly sorry you feel this way. But in the interest of my health and also the quality of work I want to give. I can't in good faith continue with this commission. So please allow me to refund you so we can end this now. Refusal to accept this final offer of a refund means that the funds will be kept as a donation."

Don't push yourself to finish their commission because if you do they can blame you for rushing it (even though it's a situation they created) and still turn around and chargeback out of spite.

In the future even if its just a notepad doc on your PC, take down the first initial of the first nameand last three of the last name, date, first and last character of the email with email provider and amount so you can pinpoint faster and privacy is maintained for the client 

Example: Sam Wilson fanboy2012 @ yahoo dot com becomes 

S Wil f********2 Yahoo 8/30 20.00

A repeat customer of mine who is up next on my queue offered to switch their spot in the queue with said customer. I will take extra care and save wips for proof if they attempt to claim I rushed it, as I do work fast.Thanks for the advice, but at this point the time wasted, fighting to refund them is more stressful than just doing the image. I will blacklist then after they approve the final image. I assume the entire thing was to be bumped.

@xaila

I have never had an issue where I could not match payment with a name before, it was just because the timestamps were all the same.

@theodor You realize you just rewarded this person for being a jerk, right?

In the future, it might be better if you make invoices for everyone and add a character name or FA/art site username to the invoice details. That way it's still not really PII and it's easier to find in the future.

I have never had an issue where I could not match payment with a name before, it was just because the timestamps were all the same.

It's going to be a recurring problem, because doing art in batches is normal.

Sorry for the doublepost, I just want to reiterate that what you did / are doing is absolutely a bad move.

- You're rewarding them for being a pushy jerk
- You're validating that your broken wrist isn't a big deal and you can still draw anyway (meaning they believe you WERE lying, and you've proven it to them now, regardless of the facts)
- Despite [possibly] blacklisting this person from future commissions, word travels. Other people may hear about this and push you to move them up in the queue too. Or get bitter you won't do the same for them.
- You're ACTIVELY HURTING YOURSELF FOR THIS JERK (you don't just GET OVER your injury)
- Let's be real, someone this pushy has a 90% chance of also demanding a bunch of "corrections" or just being super difficult to deal with in general
- Regardless of what you do, they're probably going to come up with an excuse to lambast you. Weren't fast enough, lied, blacklisted you "for no reason", etc. You lose either way regarding this person's word of mouth, so why make this harder on yourself and reward this person?

Don't fall into the sunken cost fallacy. This person should absolutely NOT be rewarded. Tell them they're not getting the art and if they don't want to give you the payment info, it's a donation to you for your medical bills.

Don't roll over. You're only setting yourself up for failure with future pushy clients.

Edited by Bornes

11 hours ago, theodor said:

There is, if its within the time frame!

My paypal doesnt show anything on the details except names, so I need them to give me the name on their account. The commission purchased was via a batch and they are all the same amounts. I dont want to ask them which is theres, as I would have to give out peoples names. I confirm people pay, but I dont wrist down any details elsewhere for privacy reasons.

Oh, weird, my paypal shows names and emails. When people commission me I tell them to include their paypal email in what they send, even if they're repeat customers. Maybe that's a thing you could do in the future? Or do as Xaila said and keep their name and info somewhere, maybe in a google sheet or something.

I hope this gets cleared up soon for you, and I really suggest you listen to what Bornes has said, you really shouldn't reward people that shouldn't be rewarded