When a client wants a refund, but won't give their paypal

Luna996

So ive had a client i lost contact with i wanted to refund due to personal issues, and when i finally did get back in contact to give the refund; i ran into one thing ive never ran into before with clients: refusal to give their PayPal.

This client had been MIA withoit contact for over a good year, and I couldn't refund them without knowing their PayPal. Then today they asked me during work when they would get their refund. Since i was on break i figured I'd just go and give it to them sooner than later, only to rralize they never gave me their paypal email for the refund, and when i asked for it, had me go throigh their PayPal.me. i told them they got their refund, but in doing it this way i have no way of keeping a proper record of who i have refunded via what paypal e-mail went to who.

Has anyone else ever had a client that made it difficult to issue refunds because they refused to give you their paypal email for the refund? Or even sending a proper invoice for your records?

I've never had this happen before so im confused if i handled it properly. What should I do with future clients like this?

• Administrator

I'm confused.  Paypal.me is the same as Paypal, so your records would be the same regardless.  Did you want to refund the original transaction?  The ability to issue a refund that way is disabled eventually.  

If you want to ensure that the refund goes to the same email you got payment from, the Paypal.me link should show their name.  That information can be used to find the original transaction.  Or if you have a general time frame and transaction amount you can look back to find the original transaction.

Paypal.me is just paypal. It's the same as sending money via email.

If you wanted to use paypals built in refund feature (Which is the way refunds should be given if possible, as it refunds fees too) You could have looked it up with the name provided on paypal.me. (My paypal history shows only names, not emails)