Artist disappears and now is not responding now that they've reappeared

Alrxse

Hiya, back around June / July of 2018 I commissioned an artist on twitter. Since then, they've been very "evasive" when I try to contact them about the work they owe me. They sent the sketch around July 2018, and after hounding them again and again they told me they'd have the work done around February. Back around the beginning of May this year they suddenly and without warning disappeared from social media. Recently they've suddenly showed back up online and have yet to reply to my messages inquiring about updates or a refund from them. Part of me is telling myself to wait it out but seeing as that has gotten me a year without the work, I'm getting a little tired of having to chase them down. Without going into too much detail, I understand the situation is entirely "beware-able" however I would prefer to not go down this route. I'd really like to get in contact with the few others that have commissioned them (The artist opened slots) but unfortunately there's no way for me to track them down.

I guess I'm curious if there's really anything I can do at this point.. The charge-back period for Paypal has ended and I hate feeling like I'm at their mercy, as unreliable as they are. Should I keep waiting for them to respond? Or finally take the time to submit a beware (again, something I'd really rather avoid doing)

I'm sorry if anything is out of place here- I usually do not participate in forums.

I understand that it's hard on you to make a beware as you'd like to keep it peaceful and still have hopes for the commission to be done, but bewares' main role aren't about giving an artist a bad name, but rather warning future commissioners of the artist to be careful considering buying from them, as they could end up in the same situation as you - waiting for years. The artist passed two deadlines and it been over a year, and if they're still avoiding you I highly doubt the commission would be finished anytime soon. An artist telling you it's gonna take more than half year to finish for you a drawing is exaggerated too, no matter how skillful they are in their art or how much details they put in it. If you haven't yet, send them a message you'd like a refund (they'll probably take a bit from it for the sketch if they showed you a picture of it) and send a beware to the website. It's not your fault but theirs - if they were overwhelmed with the commissions to the point that'd take them half year or more to finish each drawing, they should've organized their orders and maybe even cancel & refund some if they see that's impossible to work this way. The artist seem to most likely avoid returning payment, even if it means making costumers wait for years and avoiding them. Disappearing from the social media is also a big red flag - it might mean you're not the only one that been messaging them for not receiving your product. You'll be helping others potential commissioners to not fall victim for their commission progress. 

I hope it helps, and I hope you'd receive a refund back.