Nervous about Delivery of Commission

I commissioned an artist on Twitter in the beginning of April and yet havent heard back from them. I do follow them though and they are constantly posting about their health and money problems. The commission itself was an emergency commission as well and they are still taking... I guess you could call it emergency commissions since then.

Their posts on Twitter said that they'll work on already taken commissions (where I fit in) from Monday to Tuesday and doing new commissions in stream from Wednesday to Friday, from what I understood.

I'm just kinda worried I will not see the commission done before the paypal deadline, since they mention their health a lot. And I'm also worried that I will not see a refund either since they have money problems as well and taking even more work throughout the week. I feel bad filing a dispute anyway (if I had to in the future), since I feel really bad about them.

I'm not sure what to do if the deadline does come close and I don't get the commission by then...

Edit: I know it's only been about 2 Months or so, but they keep piling up work and already accepted a bunch of people on the original emergency comm post in addition to their health problems (no shame on them, they obviously can't help that). That's why I'm a bit worried.

• Administrator

What you've already mentioned throws up a number of red flags.  If you want to wait more, I don't suggest waiting much longer.  I'd say you're well within your right to request a refund (and force if needed) if the deadline is very close to approaching.

I still have about 4 months until the Paypal window closes. I'm thinking of asking them about progress next month and set an ultimatum a month or two before the window closes. If that fails, I'll ask Paypal for help.

• 2 months later...
  • Senior Staff
4 hours ago, Alkraas said:

Long Overdue update, but they finished to commission (albeit a downgrade to a sketch) on the day that my protection would've run out.

did you choose to downgrade it, or was it a choice on the part of the artist?

from april to now, your protection would run out in october, not september.

and if you're not happy with it? def post a beware/caution about the individual.

13 hours ago, Alkraas said:

Long Overdue update, but they finished to commission (albeit a downgrade to a sketch) on the day that my protection would've run out.

Here's my question. Since it was a downgrade did you get any potion of your money back because say if you paid for a fully colored and shaded piece but only got a sketch then they owe you a refund for work not completed. 

@rikki Oh I was told my protection would run out then? Weird. Anyway!!!

@Scourge

It was my decision for it to be downgraded. I said "hey, if you don't mind, could we downgrade it to a sketch and I get permission to color it myself?" /Paraphrased

Artist agreed and I got a full body sketch that I colored myself. It was my choice that she would keep the money since it was for a surgery.

No need for a beware from my pov!

Edit! Reason for the downgrade was because I was nervous the completion would go beyond the protection window, it was my decision~

Edited by Alkraas

• Senior Staff

Generally Paypal will tell you when the protection runs out!
But since its a 6 month window, I believe it would be til October that you'd be able to dispute it.

But that's just my math on it haha. But yeah, if not sure, your original transaction should give you the definitive date on that 180 day window.