Asking for a full refund after receiving a clean sketch?

I commissioned an artist on dA for a $45 clean-lined, colored piece in December. She sent me a cleaned up sketch several days after I paid and promised to send the final piece a week later. I haven't heard from her since then. I've sent her multiple emails and notes on dA, asking about my piece, but it looks like she hasn't logged onto the site in 17 weeks. She hasn't responded to any messages either.

I've drafted an ultimatum to send to her. Is it wrong of me to ask her for a full refund though, in the event that she doesn't send me the final piece? I'm not sure if I should ask for a partial refund instead since she sent me a sketch (showing that she did some work on my comm instead of doing nothing).

Thanks for any advice!

Take this with a grain of salt. If it were me I'd ask for the full refund in the ultimatum (or at least I wouldn't specify what type of refund, just "I would like a refund") and then I wouldn't fight them on it if they came back with a reasonable partial refund offer.

The totally proper way to do it would be to figure out what a sketch costs and deduct that from your full commission price though, and ask for the resulting dollar amount returned.

2 hours ago, Bornes said:

Take this with a grain of salt. If it were me I'd ask for the full refund in the ultimatum (or at least I wouldn't specify what type of refund, just "I would like a refund") and then I wouldn't fight them on it if they came back with a reasonable partial refund offer.

The totally proper way to do it would be to figure out what a sketch costs and deduct that from your full commission price though, and ask for the resulting dollar amount returned.

Thank you for the advice!

Would you still use this approach if the sketch was sent with a giant watermark on it? (Forgot to mention that detail, sorry)

• Web Admin
16 hours ago, Swallowtail said:

Thank you for the advice!

Would you still use this approach if the sketch was sent with a giant watermark on it? (Forgot to mention that detail, sorry)

In that case a full refund would be warranted unless the watermark was minimized, imo.