Customer Doesn't Pick Up Badge

Alkraas

Hello!

I'm a digital artist from Germany and offer an additional service where I print the artwork out, laminate it and then ship the artwork to customers. They receive a digital copy and a physical one, so to speak.

However. I'm facing an incident where a customer should have their badge delivered by USPS, yet wasn't home. I always ship with tracking and signature. USPS left a note to either let the customer pick the badge up at their office or that they could schedule a re-delivery.

This note was left on the 7th of March. On the 21st, USPS will ship the badge back to me. What do I do with a customer who doesn't pick up/receives their badge? I have made them aware of this incident but nothing got resolved as of yet. I have no idea what to do...

@Mortymaxwell

1) Yes, they did reply to me. I reminded them today again and they said they'd try to get the badge.

2) They're not on vacation, though they told me they're fairly busy with college, but they can schedule a re-delivery with USPS via phone or via a filled out form on their website. Age is unknown but they did mention their dad in a voicemail.

3) Yes, a tracking number was given to the customer. I also entered the tracking number into Paypal's system under "add tracking information" on the same day I shipped the badge off. Paypal has the tracking number attached to the payment.

This is what I would do. Keep following up with them. If they don't get their badge and it gets sent back give them the choice of printing the digital file themselves or having the badge sent one more time. If they request you try again, ask if there is a better address, like a workplace, student mail box on campus, or their dad you can send it to.

Then update your terms of service to cover what will happen if a customer doesn't receive their artwork.  It would be a good idea to have a clause too if someone refuses to pick up their item.

@Alkraas Make sure when you contact them you tell them that the deadline is the 21st, and that if they don't pick it up before then you will not be resending it.

Also tell them you won't issue a refund if they refuse to pick it up.
Of course, only state that if you really don't want to refund them (I personally wouldn't, butt hen again I don't sell things).

At the very least, if you have not stated a deadline, the customer may think the issue is not time-sensitive.

Edited by Bornes

@Bornes

They're aware of the deadline as I have reminded them and mentioned the 21st today again! The artwork was sent per email as a digital copy, as I'm a digital artist. So they technically do have recieved the main artwork. Making the artwork a badge and shipping it is just an extra service and shipping prices are paid on top of the base price. I personally wouldn't want to refund them, as again, they technically do have the artwork as a digital copy. I'm unsue about refunding the shipping costs (in case they want to print it themselves), because as you said, the fault is on them ?

Then I don't really see the problem. You've done your due diligence as an artist and merchant. If they don't want the badge, then consider the shipping a convenience fee.

(And by "refund" I was referring to the extra price of the physical badge, not the whole thing, of course. Apologies if I implied otherwise.)

Edited by Bornes

If you are worried they might file a charge back for item not delivered, you could refund the shipping cost to be on the safe side.  If you do this, make sure to include a note  with a link to where they can download the digital file from Dropbox or wherever.  But I don't think it's necessary.  You've done your part.  You seem like a good artist who cares a lot about their customers ?

@Mortymaxwell Yeah, that was actually one of my concerns ^^;; I'll ask the customer what they prefer if they fail to pick up the badge. If they rather want to print it themselves, I refund the shipping costs. Thank you so much btw, that honestly means a lot ?

Edited by Alkraas
wording